INNOVATIVE HEALING – Asheville, NC; Kauai, HI; Petaluma, CA; and Chicago, IL
Clinical Nutrition & Integrative Health Consultant 1984 to Present
· Private practice providing diet, lifestyle, stress management, nutritional supplements and herbs to individuals. Collaborates with physicians on assessment and treatment plans. In the past created and taught many support groups and Corporate Wellness programs. Currently manage select case-load with clients nationally and locally.
· Based on expertise, roles include: Author, Lecturer, Consultant, and Spokesperson.
· Mentoring group for health professionals
HAWTHORN UNIVERSITY – Whitethorn, CA
Director of Doctoral Studies & Educational Director 2006 to Present
· Developed curriculum for Doctoral Program in Holistic Nutrition. Currently teaching and advising 12 doctoral students.
· Created policies, developed curriculum for MS, BS programs. Established alliances with organizations and individual health professionals. Represents university at professional meetings.
· Coordinate webinar series, leveraging extensive network to invite health professionals to teach single or series classes.
SAYBROOK UNIVERSITY – San Francisco, CA
Faculty 2010 to Present
· Curriculum development and teaching of Food as Medicine course for MS and PhD program in Mind-Body Medicine.
INSTITUTE FOR FUNCTIONAL MEDICINE – Gig Harbor, WA
Faculty 2008 to Present
· Co-created 2-1/2 day training on “Functional Gastroenterology” as part of a certification program in Functional Medicine.
· On team to do research study on Ulcerative Colitis
· Worked with faculty and nutrition board to set direction for the field, and developed instructional materials.
ACCESS TO HEALTH EXPERTS – Asheville, NC
Founder / Director 2005 to 2010
· Served as researcher / educator of an educational and mentoring membership website.
· Conducted interviews, developed audios, and wrote e-books with experts in the field. (info. in packet)
· Created comprehensive and holistic Stress Management Course.
NUTRICIA NORTH AMERICA – Gaithersburg, MD
Consultant 2007 to 2008
· Approached by Nutricia to create educational materials for parents focused on diet and autism.
· Developed educational materials and website on autism and nutrition (www.nutritionandmind.com ).
WOMEN TO WOMEN – Portland, ME
Consultant 2007 & 2009
· Literature review of scientific literature for verification for soy-based nutritional supplement for menopausal women and participated in product development and literature review for probiotic supplement.
THE DANNON COMPANY, INC. – New York, NY
National Spokesperson, Dannon Activia Yogurt 2007
· Media expert for magazine, newspaper, and radio interviews about tips for health digestion, which included probiotics, Activia Yogurt, fiber, importance of mindful eating, and more.
· Discussed the scientific research on Activia yogurt to media representatives.
PILATES STYLE MAGAZINE – New York, NY
Nutrition Editor 2005 to 2007
· Wrote a series of articles and “Q & A” columns on food, eating styles, stress, and nutrition.
CENTER FOR MASSAGE – Weaverville, NC
Faculty 2003 to 2006
· Taught 8-hour nutrition course as part of massage therapy education program.
WAR TO END ALL WARS – Kauai, HI
· Provided nutritional consulting for actors in film. Actors needed to lose 15-20% of body weight for film.
HEALTH MATTERS, KKCR RADIO – Princeville, HI
Talk Show Host 2002 to 2004
· One-hour monthly Public Radio Show. Co-hosted with Marilyn Roderick, MD. Presented various health topics from skin health, flu prevention, weight control, use of Premarin and Women’s Health Studies, Stress Management, treatment of insect bites, etc.
KAUAI HOSPICE – Lihue, HI
Nutritionist 1998 to 2003
· Provided nutritional advice and food planning for families and people in hospice care.
PRINCE SPA LECTURE SERIES – Princeville, HI
Health & Wellness Lecturer 1992 to 2003
· Created and taught Community Wellness Lecture Series 24 times each year on a wide variety of topics.
KAUAI MEDICAL CLINIC – Lihue & Kilauea, HI
Nutritionist & Health Educator 1996
· Served as onsite Nutritionist & Health Educator supporting a 35 physician multi-specialty medical clinic. Provided one-on-one consultations for diabetes and cardiovascular care. Developed and taught support groups on stress management, weight management, and prenatal nutrition.
CALIFORNIA SCHOOL OF HERBAL STUDIES – Forestville, CA
Faculty 1992 to 1993
· Developed curriculum & taught nutrition and food curriculum for Herbalist curriculum.
INSTITUTE FOR EDUCATIONAL THERAPIES (now BAUMAN COLLEGE) – Cotati, CA
Faculty 1992 to 1993
· Developed curriculum & taught nutrition and food course for vocational program in Nutrition Counseling.
CHICAGO SCHOOL OF MASSAGE – Chicago, IL
Faculty 1986 to 1988
· Developed curriculum & taught nutrition, stress management, & communication skills for massage students.
CHICAGO BULLS’ MULTIPLEX FITNESS CENTER (Kenneth Cooper Medical Institute) – Deerfield, IL
Director of Nutrition & Education 1983 to 1985
· Provided one-on-one counseling for club members, developed and taught support groups on weight management & compulsive overeating, stress management, cardiovascular health, and teen nutrition.
HEARTLAND HEALTH & FITNESS RETREAT – Gilman, IL
Director of Nutrition & Education 1983 to 1985
· Developed & coordinated educational curriculum. Taught nutrition, food, stress management, visualization techniques; worked with chefs to develop menus.
PRIVATE MEDICAL PRACTICES: JACK ZOLDAN, MD & PAUL EGEL, MD – Chicago, IL
Nutritionist 1982 to 1984
· Provided one-on-one nutritional counseling for the medical practice patients.
WHITE BIRD SOCIOMEDICAL AID STATION – Eugene, OR
Nutritionist/Pregnancy Counselor/ & Office Manager 1977 to 1982
· Provided one-on-one nutritional counseling; held emotional overeater’s weight groups. Previous to earning MS degree held positions of office manager; pregnancy counselor; & volunteer health advocate for patients.
Digestive Wellness, 3rd edition, Nov 2004, McGraw Hill,2nd edition, Nov 1999, 1st edition 1995, Keats Publishing, Chicago, IL (4th edition will be published in May 2011, McGraw Hill.)
Digestive Wellness for Children, Basic Health Books, 2006.
The Leaky Gut Syndrome, January 1998, Keats Publishing, New Canaan, CT
Chapter: “Functional Foods for Digestive Health and Disease” for Integrative Gastroenterology, (Andrew Weil Integrative Medicine Library), editor: Gerard Mullin, MD. Spring 2011.
Expert interviewed for:
· Speed Healing, Bill Gottlieb. Bottom Line, 2009.
· Women Doctors’ Guide to Health & Healing, Bill Gottlieb, Oxmoor House, 2003.
· Alternative Cures, Bill Gottlieb, Rodale Books, 2000.
Lipski, EA. (2010) “Traditional Non-Western Diets.” Nutrition in Clinical Practice 25(6):585-93.
Mullin GE, Swift KM, Lipski EL, Turnbull LK, Rampertab SD. (2010) “Testing for Food Reactions: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.” Nutrition in Clinical Practice. 25(2):192-8.
Dean S, Lipski L, Bland J, Minich D, Bagnulo J. "Metabolic Acidosis of Plenty": Effect of Two Different Diets on Potential Renal Acid Load in Individuals with Metabolic Syndrome. Journal of Applied Nutrition 2009; 75(3), in press.
Lipski EA. (2007) “The Key to Winter Wellness: A lack of the Sunshine Vitamin can Wreak Havoc on your Health,” Pilates Style Magazine. Nov/Dec; 38-40.
Lipski EA. (2007) ”Foods That Explode in Your Bowel”. Bottom Line Health. 12-1.
Lipski, EA. (2007) “Homegrown: The benefits of eating local food are physical, economic, and spiritual”. Pilates Style. July/August;32-36.
Lipski, EA. (2007) "Are we what we eat: and if we're eating genetically modified foods, what does that make us?" Pilates Style; Sept/Oct: 34-37.
Lipski, EA. (2007) “The Acid Test: Is a low pH level making you sick?” Pilates Style, Jan/Feb: 34-38.
Lipski, EA. (2006) “Eat Less, Rejoice More: Your guide to Holiday Eating”. Pilates Style. Nov/Dec: 31-33.
Lipski, EA. (2006) “Gut Reaction”. Pilates Style. (Sept/Oct), 87-88.
Lipski, EA. (2002) “Sex Specific Needs of Aging Women,” Smokies Digest, Great Smokies Diagnostic Laboratory, Asheville, NC. Winter.
Lipski, EA. (2000) “Gut Feelings and IBS in Children,” Smokies Digest, GSDL Lab, Asheville, NC. Spring.
Lipski, EA. (2000) “Thermogenic Effects of Commercially Available Plant Preparations Aimed at Treating Human Obesity,” Review of study, Herb and Dietary Supplement Report, Newton, MA February.
Lipski, EA. (2000) “A MetaAnalysis of Chondroitin Sulfate in the Treatment of Osteoarthritis,” Herb and Dietary Supplement Report, March.
Lipski, EA. (2000) “Irritable Bowel Syndrome,” The Integrated Pharmacist, June.
For Current listing of media interviews, go to http://www.innovativehealing.com/about-liz/lectures-a-seminars
Frequent radio show guest. WBAI, KPFA, Health Radio Network: Gary Null, Deborah Ray, Meg Jordan, Air America, Doc Watson, and dozens more.
TV: Four, 1-hour shows: “Your Health with Richard and Cindy Becker” aired, Fall 2008, & Nov. and Dec. 2009, “AM Northwest” ABC. Portland, OR, FOX news, Chicago, IL, WGN-TV, Chicago, IL.
Interviewed for magazines including: Women’s World, Shape, Newsweek, Men’s Health, Delicious, Bottom Line Health, First for Women, Vegetarian Times, Let’s Live, Better Nutrition, Alternative Medicine, Fit, Parenting, Delicious Living, Experience Life, and more.
Selected Speaking Engagements
National Institute for the Clinical Application of Behavioral Medicine, “Gut-Brain Connection/One day Workshop, Hilton Head, SC. Dec 2010.
Institute for Functional Medicine Advanced Practice Training Module: “Restoring Gastrointestinal Equilibrium.” 2-1/2 day training for clinicians. Los Angeles, Feb 2009; Washington DC, July 2009; Austin TX, Feb 2010.
Defeat Autism Now Conference, Autism Research Inst. Spoke in Nutrition, Physician, and Parent tracks: “Digestion-Brain Connection” and “The Importance of Food and Nutrition in ASD.” Long Beach, CA. Oct. 2010.
Mountain Area Health Education Center, “Gut-Brain Connection”, 1-day workshop with Patrick Hanaway, MD, and Nance Pettit, MS, L.Ac. Asheville, NC March 2010.
Healing Journeys Conference, “Foods to Eat if You have Cancer” Knoxville, TN. May 2010.
National Institute for the Clinical Application of Behavioral Medicine. “The Digestion-Brain Connection: The Gut in Mental Health”, Hilton Head, SC. Dec. 2009.
American Nutrition Association, “Food and Inflammation”, Skokie IL, Nov. 2009.
Defeat Autism Now Conference, Autism Research Inst. “Digestion-Autism Connection.” Spoke in Nutrition and Parent tracks: Atlanta, GA, April 2009; Dallas, TX October 2009; Washington, DC, April 2010.
Sweet Briar College. “Food as Information”. Sweet Briar, VA. March 2009.
National Institute for the Clinical Application of Behavioral Medicine. “Digestive Wellness:, Hilton Head, SC. Dec. 2008.
Transformation Enzyme Corporation: Stress and its Effects on the Immune System, GI Health and Mood”, Houston, Oct. 2008.
Institute for Functional Medicine. “Decreasing Pain &Inflammation with Natural Foods”, Carlsbad, CA, May 2008.
AHEC of South Carolina, “The Healing Power of Food”, Keynote speaker for Integrative Medicine Conference, Greenville SC, April 2008.
National Association for Nutrition Professionals, “Discovering the Underlying Factors in Clients with Mystery Illnesses”, Sonoma State University, CA, October 2007.
Transformation Enzyme Corporation, “The Connection between Digestive Competence & Pain Management”, Houston, TX, October 2007.
International & American Associations of Clinical Nutritionists, “Systemic Consequences of Gut Imbalance”, Orlando, FL, September 2007.
Cancer as a Turning Point, “Nutrition and Cancer”, Greenville, NC, June 2007.
Institute for Integrative Nutrition, “Digestive Wellness”, NY. NY, Feb, 2006.
Transformation Enzyme Corporation, “Incorporating Nutrition into Your Practice”, Charlotte & Asheville, NC, March 2007. New York, April 2007. “Diet and Lifestyle Changes in Patient Care – The Role of Enzymes in Specific Clinical Conditions”, Sept. 2006.
Wise Traditions, Weston Price Foundation, “Chronic Diseases”, panel member, Nov. 2006.
Mountain Area Health Education Center (MAHEC) “Natural Approaches to Pain Management,” Asheville, NC. March 2006.
Transformation Enzyme Corporation, “Digestion and Systemic Disease”, Sept. 2005.
Anti-Aging and Complementary Medicine, Primedia, “IBD, IBS, and Migraines: A Nutritionist’s View, panel: “Specific Written Protocols, Case Reviews and Best Practice Guides in Chronic Disease”, panel: “Stump the Experts”, May 2005.
Anti-Aging and Complementary Medicine, Primedia, ‘Free Radical Involvement in Chronic Disease” and “Dietary Support with Chronic Disease” co-presenter with Russ Jaffe, MD PhD, Las Vegas, Nov. 2004.
Cancer Control Society, “Digestive Wellness & Cancer”, LA, California, 2002.
Wilcox Hospital, CME presentation. “Herbal Medicine”, Lihue, HI, 2002.
International & American Associations of Clinical Nutritionists, “A Clinical Nutrition Approach to Menopause and Peri-Menopause”, Orlando, Sept. 2001.
International & American Association of Clinical Nutritionists, “Menopause: A Clinical Nutrition Approach”, Orlando, FL, 2001.
Starlight International, “Reversing Auto-Immune Illness”, CME program, Atlanta, GA, 2001.
Nutrition for Optimal Health Association, Speaker on: “Women’s Health Panel”, “Nutrition for Your Heart”, “Digestive Wellness”, also offered cooking classes, grocery store tours. Winnetka, IL. 1983-1991.
Chamber of Commerce, Women in Business Conference, Keynote: "Nutrition for Women," Kankakee, IL. 1985.
University of Miami, Medical School, "Nutrition & Optimal Health," Miami, FL. 1983.
Illinois Masonic Hospital, "Nutrition & Menstrual Blues," Chicago, IL. 1983.
Lane Community College, In-service for Science Faculty on Nutrition, Eugene, OR. 1979.
Lane County Mental Health Dept., In-Service "Nutrition, Mental Health, and Behavior", Eugene, OR. 1979.
Current Professional Boards and Associations
Nutrition Advisory Board Member, Institute for Functional Medicine - Gig Harbor, WA
Advisory Board Member: Food as Medicine, Center for Mind-Body Medicine, Washington, DC.
Special Adviser to the Board: National Association of Nutrition Professionals – Rancho Cordova, CA
Member: International and American Associations of Clinical Nutritionists - Dallas, TX
Member: Clinical Nutrition and Certification Board - Dallas, TX
Member: North Carolina Integrative Medical Society - Asheville, NC
Member: National Association of Nutrition Professionals – Rancho Cordova, CA
Member: Weston A. Price Foundation - Washington, DC
Member: Price Pottenger Foundation – Lemon Grove, CA