What Everybody Ought to Know about Cholesterol and Statin Drugs
|May 17th, 2005|
Special Guest: Dr. Jay Cohen
An interview with Jay Cohen, MD, Psychiatrist, and author of What You Must Know about Statin Drugs and Their Natural Alternatives.
Dr. Cohen explains how you can lower cholesterol and other cardiac risk factors with statin drugs (Lipitor, Zocor, Pravachol, Mevacor, Lescol, Crestor) or with effective alternative methods. He believes that many medical problems can be avoided with better, individualized medication treatment. In his new book he informs us how to choose between prescription drugs and alternative therapies, and how to use them as safely and effectively as possible.
- How statin drugs work
- Why low dosages may work better for you
- When having high cholesterol levels are good for you
- Muscle pains and other common side effects of statin medications
- 6 great tests you should do in addition to cholesterol testing
- Why doctors ignore side effects of statins
- The story behind Alzheimer’s and statin drugs
- What vitamins may reduce your heart risk
- 8 natural alternatives to statin drugs
- What every statin user must know about Co-enzyme Q10
- Best places to buy your cholesterol-lowering products
- How to cut your statin drug costs in half
|Cohen is a nationally recognized expert on medications and side effects. As an Associate Professor (voluntary) of Family and Preventive Medicine at the University of California, San Diego, Dr. Cohen's work has been featured in newspapers and magazines across America including the New York Times, Newsweek, the Washington Post, Consumer Reports, Wall Street Journal, Modern Majority, Women's Day, Bottom Line Health, and Life Extension Magazine. |
Dr. Cohen is a strong advocate for patients' rights of informed consent, an expert on improving medication safety, and long-time critic of the drug industry. His previous book, Over Dose: The Case Against The Drug Companies (Tarcher/Putnam 2001) received unanimously excellent reviews.
Liz Lipski, PhD, CCN Is the host of the Access to Health Experts interview series. She holds a doctorate and is board certified in Clinical Nutrition, is the author of Digestive Wellness, Digestive Wellness for Children, and Leaky Gut Syndrome. She’s the Director of Doctoral Studies at Hawthorn University, and the nutrition editor for Pilates Style Magazine. Dr. Lipski is the founder of several web-based health information sites including Innovative Healing and Access to Health Experts.
All transcripts are free at Access to Health Experts